You Are the Most Important Investment in Your Life. Start Acting That Way
- Mark Edwards ·
- 0 Comments ·
- March 30, 2021
The word investment seems scary for many people. We often associate it with the stories we hear of people investing money into a company that later crashes, sending them into a downward spiral of bills and debts. However, it’s important to remember that investments come in many different forms aside from money – you can also invest your time and energy.
As a result, you must begin to treat yourself and your happiness as an investment. For example, this could mean that you start treating yourself with the same level of kindness and consideration that you give to others or start spending more of your time on yourself.
However, this is often easier said than done – it can be hard to find new ways to suitably invest in yourself. With that in mind, here are just some ways to start investing in yourself today – seeing the benefits tomorrow.
- Allocate a certain amount of time in your schedule that belongs entirely to you. Whether that means you partake in a particular hobby, read a book, or even just spend some time in quiet contemplation.
- Find time in your day for exercise, whether that means riding a bike or taking a short stroll on your lunch break. If you have not worked out in a while, start small and work your way up over time – this is a great way to boost your fitness without risking injury.
- Treat yourself to something at least once a month. They do not need to be major, life-changing purchases – it can be something as small as a takeaway coffee on a particularly dull morning. Alternatively, you can invest money into your personal hobbies, buying yourself the tools you need to achieve. For example, if you are currently nurturing a green thumb, you can make your gardening dreams come to life by purchasing a bud trimming machine.
- Invest in your future by considering signing up for higher education. Whether that means you head to a local college, or study further afield, adding more qualifications to your resume is a great way to develop at both a personal and professional level. It is also particularly useful if you are looking to switch jobs and find a career that makes you happy.
- Provide yourself with greater financial security by picking up a viable side hustle. This also presents you with the opportunity to start spending more time doing something that you truly love instead of spending extra hours at work.
- Write down a list of your goals – whether they obtain to getting healthier or finding new work. While you may already have an idea of what you want in your head, writing them down often makes them seem more tangible – and can help you remain focused.
- Stop spending time with people who don’t make you happy. While this may be unavoidable from time to time (for example, we all have to deal with trick co-workers), when it comes to your social life – you are in control of who you do and don’t spend time with.